Our Continent Facts for Kids bring you lots of interesting and fun facts on the continents of the world.
1. Asia is the largest continent. It has the biggest land area and the world's biggest population. This means most people live on the Asian continent.
The continent has the most populous cities, which means there are the biggest cities in the world with many million people living in the urban centres, such as in Delhi, Tokyo, Shanghai and Beijing.
2. Oceania is the smallest continent of the planet. Oceania includes Australasia, Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia. This means Australia, New Zealand the many islands to the north and east of Australia in the Pacific Ocean are on this continent.
3. Africa is the continent that has the most countries. There are 54 countries on the African continent. As the oldest human fossils such as skeletons and skulls have been discovered in Africa, the continent is also referred to as the 'cradle of humankind'.
4. North America is a continent which is located entirely on the northern and western hemisphere. It includes among others:
There are 23 countries in total on the North American continent.
The island of Greenland which is the world's largest island belongs to Denmark but is located in North America. Greenland is also known for the northernmost place in the world!
About 580 million people live on the North American continent. North America is home to the largest Christian population in the world. Almost 80% of the people in Canada, the USA and Mexico consider themselves as Christians. Read more about North America here.
6. Europe houses the two smallest countries in the world:
Actually, five European countries make it on the list of the ten smallest countries in the world which include also San Marino, Liechtenstein and Malta. All other tiny countries outside Europe are located on islands!
7. The most languages are spoken in Asia - over 2 300 languages! However, most of these languages are spoken only by small groups of people. 2 000 languages of the world's 7 000 languages are spoken by less than 1 000 people! Chinese is the language with the most native speakers - with almost 1.4 billion people speaking it. English, however, is spoken by people in more than 100 countries worldwide. And North America has the largest number of people who speak English either as their first language (231 million people) or as their second language fluently.
8. South America is a continent of many natural superlatives:
9. Asia houses some of the richest nations in the world. The tiny country Qatar on the Arabian peninsula is on of the richest nations in the world due to its income from oil exploration and the petroleum industry. Saudi-Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain are also among richest countries in the world due to their oil reserves.
10. Antarctica is the smallest continent by population numbers. This means the huge continent is only sparsely populated. On Antarctica there are only research stations for scientists and no permanent settlements. Antarctica is covered almost completely by ice. 90% of the planet's ice is located on this continent, which also makes up 60% - 70% of the world's freshwater supply. Read more about Antarctica here.
Images on Continent Facts: Shutterstock.com