When looking for interesting geography facts, we found some really fun continent facts and interesting facts about the world's countries and people.
Now let’s start with our fun geography facts and quiz. Most importantly know, that there are seven
continents on our planet Earth. The continents vary in size and population number. Most probably you already know that there are more than
7 billion people living on the seven continents combined. For more specific info on the continents click here and check our blue info boxes.
But can you also
answer the following questions easily?
Fun Geography Facts: Our World in Superlatives!
Which continent has the world's highest mountains?
- Asia. The Himalayan mountains are the highest in the world.
Which continent has the most countries?
- Africa includes 54 countries.
Which continent has the longest mountain range?
- South America's Andes is the longest mountain range in the world.
Which is the world's largest ocean?
Which is the planet's longest river?
The earth's tallest Mountain?
- Mount Everest in the Himalayas: 8,850 metres/29,035ft
Lowest point on the earths surface?
- The Dead Sea lies 409 metres below sea level.
The world's highest waterfalls?
- Angel Falls in Venezuela: 979 metres/3,212ft
Which is the world's deepest lake?
- Lake Baikal in Siberia/Russia with 1,642metres/5,387ft.
The planet's biggest lake?
- Caspian Sea with an average depth of 211metres/690ft. Borders with Russia, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Iran and Azerbaijan.
Which country has the most islands?
- Canada with more than 300,000 islands.
The world's largest island?
- Greenland, which is almost four times
smaller than the island of Australia. However, Australia is commonly referred to as a
continent and not of an island.
Which language is spoken by the most people?
- Mandarin Chinese is spoken by about one billion people. There is no alphabet but 'characters' (signs and symbols) The children learn to write Chinese at school and more than 4,000 of these have to be learnt by heart, practised and memorised.
More Geography Facts and Geo Superlatives
Now it's getting more tricky. Do you know these interesting geography facts or can you guess the right answer? If not, maybe the images can help you. Let's try:
Which is the world's largest country?
Saint Basil's Cathedral in Moscow
The world's largest country is Russia (17,075,400sq km). So it's no wonder Russia is also the country with the most land borders as the huge country borders 14 neighbouring countries.
Which is the world's smallest country?
Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome
The world's smallest country is Vatican City (0.44sq km). But it's not only the smallest country by size but also by population! Only around 800 people live in Vatican City. The state is ruled by the Pope.
Which is the country with the largest population?
- In China live more than 1.3 billion people. China is also home of the largest city in the world, Shanghai. More than 26 million people live and work in this city.
Which is the most sparsely populated country in the world?
The oryx antelope lives here.
- Namibia in Southern Africa. There only 2 people per sq km, as people mainly live in Namibia's capital Windhoek and in small towns or on farms.
Which is the most densely populated country in the world?
- Monaco is the country with the highest population density. More than 16,000 people live there per sq km. Monaco is the second smallest country in the world and borders France and the Mediterrean Sea. It has one of the most famous car racing tracks in the world too!
Useful Resources for Geography
CIA World Fact Book: WORLD FACTBOOK
National Geographic: World Atlas for Young Explorers. Washington: 2010.
Earth Condensed. The World Atlas by Millennium House. 2009
Images on this Geography page: shutterstock.com
Return from Geography Facts to Kids-World-Travel-Guide Homepage